Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Thursday, August 28, 2008

She'll Get By With a Little Help From Her Friends



I was going to write this blog tomorrow, but seeing as I have some time now and one never knows what tomorrow may bring, I figure now is as good of a time as ever. I am going to take some time out of writing about my girls and write about another girl today. My friend Shannon Sullivan.


There is so much to say about Sully that I am not quite sure where to begin. I am not even sure when or how we met, I just know it was forever ago. I am sure we twinkled toed past each other once or twice in dance class or something but the time that I do remember and cherish most about Shan was in High School. There are so many wonderful memories I have of us back then. It's funny how when I look back now, I can see things so much clearer and from a totally different perspective than I did in those days. You see, Shanny was the first female to ever play on SHS's hockey team. I remember thinking it was "cool" back then and how tough Shannon was, but looking back upon it today, I realize that it was way more than just "cool", rather it was a major accomplishment and quite an honor. Something that will remain part of SHS's history of the sport. Going down as part of history, is much more than just "cool" and Lord knows that most recently, I have found out how tough Shannon really is.


Again, when I think back, it is easy to see why we became friends. We had (and still have) so much in common. Be it our love for photography, our Jeep obsessions, hockey and our love for long meaningful talks figuring out life, we certainly seemed destined to be friends. But I believe it is our love for something else that has kept us in each other's lives. You see, I dont think there is another person on the planet who would ever understand my love for music, besides Shannon. Find us the sappiest love song or the most meaningful lyrics of a country song, Shannon and I are truly connected through our love for music and this is why I have dubbed her, my SOUL SISTA for life! When we were young we would make mix tapes for each other and I am happy to say that this tradition has continued on into our adulthood. Music just truly moves us and we "get" each other through this art.


There were some years in between where Shannon and I lost touch, but here and there we have always managed to get back to our friendship and I am truly grateful for that. Many laughs have been had between us and I have learned so much from Shannon. Back then I learned how to lace her skates before a big game. Today, I am learning how it is to fight for your life and do it with all the style and dignity possible in the world. You see, again, Shannon has to have her game face on because for the second time, she is fighting breast cancer.


I wasnt so much around for her first battle with this demon. I took a back seat and learned of her progress through other friends of ours. I would occasionally send along an email or a card so she would know I was thinking of her, but I was weak and selfish and was afraid to get too close to her again because I didnt want to see her suffer. Thinking back I wish I hadn't acted this way and that I had played more of a role in her recovery. I should have known better. I should have known that if anyone was going to beat cancer, Shannon would. I should have been there more for her as a friend and i am ashamed to admit that I wasnt.


This time is different though. This time, I am fighting with her. In my heart of hearts I know that Shannon can beat this thing. There isnt anyone tougher on the planet than she and she will prevail in the end. I swear that God only gives to people what they can handle and as hard as it may be, I know Shannon can handle it. Not only can she handle it, but she'll do it in the "Shannon way". "How do you feel Shan?" "I'm god Ker.. I'll be okay.. felt sick yesterday, but today is a new day." She simply amazes me in how she deals with her cancer and how strong she really is. I know she has her days and not like she would say, but she still puts on her game face as to not let us all to worry.


Shan, if there is anything I could say to you, it is this. Keep fighting. You will win. I know in my heart you will win. Relish in the good days and let the bad days happen too. They are all a part of this journey and it is a journey. The end will be bitter sweet. As I did in the old days, cheering you on from the bleachers, I am cheering you on today and when your journey is over, I will be there too, to celebrate in your victory of being cancer free. Always know that you are in my heart and in my prayers.


Saturday there is a benefit for Shannon called the "Skate for Sully" benefit. Unfortunately I cant be there as I am in my cousin's wedding, but I will be thinking of her. Especially as she bites into that KFC crispy strip. (some humor needed here) I know it is going to be hard for her to accept so much support and love as she tends to be tough as nails and does not like to show any weakness but I urge you to take it in stride Sully, you are truly loved by many and if you get emotional, then so be it. I hope this fundraiser helps to get you back on your feet and you know the collections department is always ready to do more!


I love you Shan, keep your head up and your eye on the puck.. the end of the game is just around the corner.


My song for the day is: You've got a friend.. James Taylor


One more thing.. I got my Thank You CD before anyone else.. nah nah nah nah nah!


xoxoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment