Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hannah's Week - A Lesson in Selflessness

We are officially dubbing this "Hannah's Week" as she has had quite a terrific one! From being "Star of the Week" in dance class, to winning a pizza party today for creating the best bookmark in her class last week during reading week, to doing a wonderful job at the dentist despite her being completely terrified, she has shone brightly all week long. However, perhaps not as brightly as she did during our little conversation yesterday afternoon. Apparently there has been some teasing going on between a boy in her class and two of her girlfriends. She was quite upset to hear that after I had picked her up early on Wednesday for the dentist appointment, he had punched both of them in the arm. Moreover, after school yesterday while the kids were all playing out front, he proceeded to tease her friend Nya and make her cry... twice. (Parents have been informed as well as the teacher) So during our "talk" I asked her what she was doing to help the situation and she told me that she has been comforting her friends when he teases them. I also told her not to be afraid to stand up to this boy and tell him to knock it off. That he needs to be nice and not fresh. What came out of her mouth next was conceivably the most selfless thing I have ever heard her say. She said, "You know Mom, I don't know why he has to pick on Nya and Makenzie. I wish he would just leave them alone and pick on me instead." I can tell you that she said this with the utmost sincerity and in the sense that leave them alone, pick on her because she is strong and she can take it. This, this right there is what makes Motherhood so special. You may not get these moments all too frequently, but when you do it is by far the most triumphant feeling in the world to know that you did something right in life. Be it just the pure fact of reproducing and creating this little blessing or the fact that you have set a good example, this feeling cannot be duplicated! I made sure I told her how proud I was of her for saying what she did. Sometimes I truly feel like she is the teacher and I am the pupil, for what a great lesson to be taught on how to be selfless from a five year old. Thank you my dear sweet, strong Hannah. Thank you for always making Mommy so very proud of you!


Miss Layla and I are just finishing up our afternoon in the office before we head on out to pick up Hannah and ENJOY our Friday evening. It is the perfect night for a movie night since it is cool and dreary. I think we may make it fun and have a picnic in the living room as well~ I also must use this weekend to prepare the girl's room for a painting as Nonnie is coming over this week to help put a fresh coat of "pink" on the walls. I need to take down all the wall hangings and pictures and spackle all the holes so we can hang up new pictures and both of the girl's name letters. I desperately want to do a photo shoot of the two of them as well and decorate the room with pictures of the little dollies together. Lastly, I REALLY need to create a list of all the things I still need to buy the bug before he or she arrives! Gee whiz I have been slacking in that department! All I have bought so far are diapers and wipes. Mental note: GET MOTIVATED MOMMY! :) Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment