Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Monday, May 17, 2010

Layla

To say that last week was yet another trying week, would be an understatement. Layla started with 104 fever Monday evening. She began a tight asthmatic cough on Tuesday and then it just all went from there. We began her on her Pro Air rescue inhaler while keeping her on her maintenance dose of Flovent and tried to ride it out but by Thursday her fever was still in the high 103's and her cough was now a heavy bark. She wasnt sleeping. She was miserable all around and just wanted to be held, watch Princess & the Frog and drink her "bubba". The last time she ate anything solid was last Sunday. So I brought her in to the Pediatrician and he checked her ears and throat and determined it was just a virus. Her oxygen was at 98% so that too, seemed fine. Yet I left there feeling like something was missed. This wasn't one of her "usual" doctors and he didn't know her previous history and I was a little uneasy about that. Nonetheless, we decided to ride out the weekend. There wasn't much change in Layla throughout the weekend with the one exception being that her temperature did finally drop to 101.5 on Saturday evening. Last night, I noticed a very tiny little rash appearing on her ear tips and I made up my mind that we would be heading back to the Pediatrician this morning. By morning, she had this rash on her ears, neck, shoulders, arms and belly. She still had the 101.5 fever. My first fear was that it could be 5th's Disease and I know that this could be dangerous for pregnant women to be around. With me being 3 weeks away from delivering and Julie in her first trimester I was hoping this wasn't the case.

Layla was seen at 9:30 by Dr. T. who was absolutely fantastic with her. We don't usually see him either but he was very thorough and squashed my fears of 5th's Disease. He did however call the rash Patiki Eye. This rash becomes present when there is an issue with white blood cells. Not at all what I was expecting him to say. He also wanted us to head to Hasbro for blood work so that we could be thoroughly seen and get the labs done stat and not have to wait days for them. I was so grateful for his proactive approach to Layla's condition. We headed on down and had the best experience in Hasbro ER. (All who know me, know that I am not a fan of Hasbro.. but this trip proved different) From the doctors to the nurses, they were all so very nice and accommodating. We saw a Dr. Charles Callahan and I just loved him and the way he sat and spoke to me. He did say that her Patiki Eye was quite impressive and that you don't usually see it in so many places. Leave it to Layla to deviate from the norm. The nurses were also so very nice and helpful and they even found me a set of scrubs to wear after Layla became increasingly angry with having to keep the IV in and got agitated enough to vomit all over Mommy! (9 months pregnant wearing scrubs.. I assure you was quite the sight!) Layla was such a trooper through it all and even when they stuck her with the needle. She just did not like keeping that IV in with the board on her arm and was having none of it! So after our 6 hour day at Hasbro, this is where we stand:

She is being diagnosed with Neutropenia. Neutropenia" is a condition in which the number of neutrophils in the bloodstream is decreased. Neutrophils are a type of
white blood cell also known as polymorphonuclear leukocytes or PMNs. Neutropenia affects the body's ability to fight off infections. This is a condition of the white blood cells and in Layla's case, they "think" it is being caused by a virus. They have also sent out blood cultures which we will have the results of in 48 hours to determine whether or not it could be a bacterial infection. Layla did receive an antibiotic shot intravenously in case any of those cultures come back positive, she will already have been treated and on the mend. Dr. Sowa wants to see us in the office tomorrow and once Layla is feeling better they will most likely do followup blood work to ensure that her white count has come back up and all is fine. I am staying positive that this whole thing is just a bad virus that decided to attack her white blood cells and in another week or so she will be back to my little Layla cakes. I know I will feel so much better once I have spoken to Dr. Sowa and she has eased all of my worries. As of tonight, she still has the 101.5 fever and congested cough.

Please pray with me that Layla gets better quickly! I can't bare to watch this little baby go through anything else. She has been through so much already and cant ever seem to just get the "normal" colds and viruses that kids get without them being blown into these big not normal things. She has been through so much with her gastrointestinal issues as well as her food allergies... She just deserves a break. I am so worried about going into labor and having to leave her for 2 nights. She is Mommy's girl and I just want to know that she is well for when I have to leave her overnight. I can't imagine being away from the girls for 2 nights, never mind how frantic I will be if Layla is not well. Please keep her in your prayers for a speedy recovery! Thank you!!! I will post more after my appointment tomorrow but for now.. I am going to cuddle on the couch with my little ravioli!

No comments:

Post a Comment