Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Weekend Away

We headed on out to Long Island for the Holiday weekend and had ourselves a wonderful time.  It was a break that I very much needed.  Unfortunately, the night before we were to leave, Billy got called in to work the entire weekend.  He needs to take any work time he can get being that his job is so unpredictable with this economy.  I was completely bummed, as was he.  I had reservations about doing the drive and being away with all three kids by myself, but I am not the type to just forgo a fun weekend so off we went.  We left Saturday morning instead of Friday evening because I was a little worried about the drive alone with the kids in the dark.  Thankfully, it went quite smoothly.  Of course, there are always some minor bumps along the way... the DVD players busted before we even got out of town and I ended up waiting for Target to open so that I could purchase some new ones.  I'm adventurous, but not stupid!  I needed those babies to keep the ride smooth for the kids!  We made it to Long Island without hitting traffic and the kids did great in the car. 


We love spending this time with Auntie Jill and Uncle Dave and are always so happy to enjoy our time with them on Long Island.  I have always loved this area since it was a place I use to frequent while I was at Hofstra.  We attended Uncle Hungie and Jill's Memorial Day festivities out east in Islip at Dave's parent's house.  This home is breathtakingly beautiful!  I love to go visit the Hungerfords and just take in the beauty of their home.  It sits right on the canal, only a few houses down from the opening of the shore.  Their backyard is beautifully decorated with gorgeous flowers and plants.  Their patio heads out back to a dock with their family boat.  This is not to say that I wasn't a neurotic mess trying to keep the kids away from the water.  Being that they are water babies like their mama, this was quite the feat.  Even when Mr. Hungerford took out the life vests for them, I was still completely stressed out.  Life vests only meant that they could take more risks.  I found Hannah trying to sit on the post of the dock hanging out over the water.  Let's just say that I was a bundle of nerves over this   Thankfully once nightfall hit, they seemed to have finally listened to my frantic "Stay off the dock" yells.  I don't think I would normally have been so nervous if Billy was with us because he would have been an extra set of hands to help me keep track of them.  (But then again, knowing me, it wouldn't have made the darndest difference!)  Needless to say once the night hit, the girls took much joy in the sparklers Auntie Jill had bought for them.  They truly had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the new friends they met.  I completely enjoyed myself mingling amongst the guests.  I knew hardly a soul there and yet everyone was so very nice and easy to make conversation with.  I felt perfectly at home amongst these friends.  I was even able to sit down and chat with Billy's cousin Jessica whom I have met, but have never had the pleasure of actually sitting down and speaking with.  What an adorable soul she is!  We bonded for hours chatting it up.  She moved out to NYC a few years ago and I loved hearing of her adventures since it was, once upon a time, something I had always wanted to do.  I have always been a girl completely fascinated with Manhattan and I loved hearing about her adventures there.  The evening was the comfortable break I most definitely needed.


We spent the rest of the weekend enjoying fun filled activities such as Mini Golf.  Did I mention how much my kids love the water?  As we grown ups were trying to perfect our game in the blazing sun, you could find Hannah and Layla trolloping about in any little pool of water they could find.  Under the windmill, by the gingerbread house, literally standing in knee or ankle deep water.  It was quite funny and I have to say, I let them do it just so they could get a littler refreshed from the hot sun that was blaring down at us.  It was quite comical to see myself, Dave and Jill sweating our buns off playing Mini Golf and taking it so seriously while the kids really could have cared less, just as long as they could touch water1 LOL


Jill and Dave are two of the kindest people I have ever met.  They are always doing and giving and loving to make memories with us.  They adore the kids even though we pretty much took up full range of their home.  Their generosity is unmeasurable.   I can tell you that 99% of my children's wardrobes come from them and Jill's love to shop for them.  I don't think there has even been a time when she hasn't handed them a bag full of clothes, or a treat.  My favorite part of my time with them was Sunday night when we sat out on their patio with drinks in hand just talking about life.  It was a memory that I think I will keep with me for a long time to come.  Doing nothing but bonding and talking and laughing.  These are the moments that I treasure most.  There is nothing like Family and I surely love the fact that they are part of mine.  If I could only find a way to give back to them a quarter of what they have given us. 


Monday morning we decided to treat to girls to a manicure pedicure.  It was completely hysterical to watch Layla's expressions.  She was so into it and so adorable to watch.  Hannah was thrilled as well and let me tell you, Mama was so relaxed and happy to get a little pampering for herself.  After our girl time, we headed back home to pack up the car and drive to my best friend Denise's house.  Denise and I met eighteen years ago.  EIGHTEEN!  Holy cow!  We met at Hofstra orientation and literally became instant friends.  We have always said that we had to have been sisters in another lifetime.  Her friendship is one that I so treasure and although miles away, she has been with me during the best of times and the worst of times.  Her friendship is so easy.  It's just meant to be.  There is no cattiness.  There is no jealousy.  There are never any cruel remarks.  There is just two friends, so much alike, raising their families.   I wish to God that we lived closer because I cant imagine how much better life would be with her by my side.  The time spent with her is never enough for me and I am so grateful to get these blurbs of time with her.  Her husband Chris also went to Hofstra and was part of my friendship circle there.  Their courtship was that of a fairytale and it is so surreal to see them eighteen years later still connecting and goofing on each other the way they always did.  It seems like just yesterday Denise and I were peering out our dorm tower window watching Chris as he walked back to his dorm... although I do believe his name back then was, "Cute Boy".  LOL 


The kids had a BLAST playing with her three children who are close in age to mine.  They get along SO well and I love to watch their comradery.  I can't believe that Skylar is about to be eight.  I have pictures of her laying on my belly as a newborn the first time I took Billy down to meet Denise.  Who knew that almost twenty years later, we both would be married with three children.  Two girls and a boy for both of us.  So many similarities between us that I hope when this life is over, I get to live my next one with her in it as well.  We stayed for dinner and then got the kids in their jammies before heading back home.  There were tears to be had from the girls as they didn't want to leave their NY friends.  We also said goodbye to Denise's house as it has been sold and she is moving to a different town.  I am so excited for her because I know that this will be her forever house and I am so excited to visit this new palace.  One of my FAVORITE things about her homes is that the second I step through the front door, there is that air of comfy coziness.  There is that warm feeling of a family living there.  From the pictures that hang on the walls of the kids growing, to the toys laying about, it just feels like home.  It's the feeling that I use to fantasize about when I was a young girl visualizing of what my family would be like.  The laughter of children, the playing, the excitement, the witnessing milestones and the carefree way about it.  I always get that when I am there.  I was surely sad to leave but I am so excited for another visit in the near future.  I also left with my car weighted down with my favorite hand me downs for Layla and Cameron.  My girl Denise is this crazy shopper who can find the most adorable clothing and never pays full price.  From Crew Cuts to Babystyle... it is all so adorable!  Layla and I had a blast going through everything this morning and she is already on her 3rd outfit out of the bin.  Even Mr. Cam was adorned in this adorable button down shirt today.  LOVE ME MY DENISE hand me downs! 


The next couple of days I will be a busy bee preparing for baby Cam's First Birthday.  I can't wait for the party and I am thinking he may be walking for it as well.  That boy is all over the place!  He likes to pull himself up on my pants and take strides with me while I walk.  He is so darn funny.  That face of his is just so chubby and yummy I could eat him!  My baby boy... turning one.. in less than two weeks... sigh... if only I could keep him this little forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment