Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Supporting Michael



How do I even begin?   I am still so overwhelmed with emotion about meeting the Cotrone Family and little Michael in particular.  Friday evening was the fundraiser and I had been contacted months ago via a High School friend, Alison Armstrong.. now Oliver (but she'll always bee Armstrong to me) if it was something I was interested in donating photography services to.  The word "No" was not in my vocabulary.  It wasn't even a thought in my brain.  Immediately, I thought about all the blogs I follow about children fighting cancer.  How these families, even though I don't and will probably never know them, have touched my life in a way I don't think I could ever explain.  How their words have moved me.  How I have cried with these families as if they were my own.  As if I had known them for a gazillion years.  These blogs have taught me so much about my life.  Most of all they have taught me how to appreciate every single blessing in my life.  No matter how big or small.  That even though I may be going through some bumps along the road, nothing could be worse than experiencing your child battle cancer.  These "strangers" have changed me as a person.  I remember reading Layla Grace Marsh's mother's post about how she wished she had not been always in such a rush.  Using an example about when her little Layla use to be in the way when she was trying to empty the dishwasher and how Layla would be under feet as she tried to get chores done. ...  And then when Layla flew home to be with the angels, how she would give anything to have her Layla back to be under her feet again.  How she wished those things hadn't gotten to her.   I remember thinking how I would go through the exact same situation and be frustrated because I was in a hurry to get this chore done and kids were under my feet.  After reading Shanna Marsh's post, how I have learned to enjoy those moments that can easily turn into frustrating ones.  Cameron helps me every day empty the dishwasher now.  And although I may rush to get the knives out so he doesn't get hurt, I ENJOY chasing after flying forks and spoons, sippy cups and plates as he hums them across the kitchen floor!

So when Alison contacted me I knew this was my chance to give back when previously I had felt so helpless in this cancer world.  I have three, gorgeous, healthy babies.  They weren't always healthy and we have had our share of heartache with their health, but they are cancer free.  Today they are healthy.  I am not naive enough to know that this could all change in an instant.  So instead, I continue to count my blessings and make each day count.  I was honored and thrilled to be a part of this event!  I felt grateful to be able to do something to help this local family that I had never met.  So many of my friends and family jumped on board and helped with donations and gift certificates that I was proud to call these people my friends.  It seems as though you turn on the news or open up a newspaper and hear so much about what is wrong with this world.  Very rarely do you hear all that is good in this world.  Guess what though?  There ARE good people in this world.  Who care and who realize how great the feeling of giving back is!  I am lucky to know so many of these people and the word, "thank you" can not even begin to express the gratitude I have towards them. 

From the second I approached Erin, (Michael's Auntie whom ran the entire event) and she gave me a great, big, giant squeeze hug, I knew this was where I was meant to be.  The event was for lack of a better word. AWESOME from beginning to end.  From all of the attractions for the kids, face painting, tattooing, caricatures, to the bright PINK firetruck and police cars that came in support of Michael.  It was all just plain awesome!  The raffle prizes, the music, the UNBELIEVABLE cake, the smiles on every one's face, the kids dancing and playing.  These were the moments to soak up.  Michael's entrance to the event was nothing short of movie stardom and Erin took so much time to think everything out so completely, that there was no stone unturned.  I can honestly say that I don't think one person could have walked away from that event saying, "Oh we should have done this.."  because it was all there.  All there in an enormous display and outpouring of love for a family. 

Perhaps one of my favorite moments in the evening was actually meeting Michael and saying hello.  Having Shannon introduce herself and pose for a photo with Michael.  It was a bit overwhelming for me to take that photograph knowing that Shannon is a two time breast cancer survivor and this little twelve year old boy is going through some of the exact same things she had to endure.  Yet it was also bittersweet because Shannon is a survivor and I took it as a sign that Michael will be too.  He will beat this demon.  I overheard his Mother in the bathroom talking to some friends about how anything and everything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong with Michael.  How it is normal to get blood clots in your legs while undergoing his cancer treatments and how Michael ended up with blood clots on the brain.  This hit home for me and those of you who know what I went through with Hannah know why it hit home.  All I can say is that my Hannah is one tough, little cookie for going through what she did and I pray that Michael too, will continue to gain strength through his journey.  If anything, Friday night proved as a true source of strength to be gained by the display of love for this one little boy and his family.

Billy, who is my rock, solid, show no emotion husband.. (and me quite the opposite) was touched by the event. He thoroughly enjoyed bringing the kids and watching them enjoy the celebration.  Thank you GOD for keeping them on their best behavior!  I thanked him several times for supporting me and rushing home from work to get the kids dressed and to the event.  For supporting something that I have become so passionate about.  Each time I thanked him, he responded by saying there was nothing to thank him for.  He was glad to be there and glad to be supporting a great cause.  For those of you who know Billy, these words don't often exit his mouth.  Knowing that Michael had touched his heart, melted mine.

I think the only thing left to say is how close I felt to this family even though this is the only time our paths have ever crossed.  I come from a tight knit, extremely close Italian family and I remember being perplexed growing up noticing that not all families were like mine.  As we grew older and our friends' parents' became our parent's friends, we realized that we had somehow surrounded ourselves with people who were like us in this aspect.  My inlaws are much the same.  Family comes first.  Family, is the most important thing in life.  Without family, you have nothing.  From the moment I walked through the doors at Kirkbrae, it was quite evident that this family, was much like my own.  For a sister to give so much of herself, her time, her love to support her brother, his family, his son, is the true definition of love for a family.  Beyond words. 

Michael, little man.  Stay strong.  Stay positive.  Continue to surround yourself with your loving family and loving friends.  You had so many of your buddies there supporting you that it brought fresh tears to my eyes.  You have chosen some really great people to be your sidekicks through this.  Continue to draw your strength from them.  My wish for you is that you can somehow keep some of the innocence in life that you so deserve.  That this journey will help you grow and learn but that you still keep your inner child at heart.  Many prayers coming your way and know that you and your family are thought about often.  It was an honor and a privilege to meet you.  In the end, I look forward to the "Michael kicked cancer's a$$" party!!!! 


For more pictures of Michael's event, please visit www.KerriMurphy.smugmug.com


"From what we get, we can make a living;



what we give, however, makes a life."

No comments:

Post a Comment