Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mr. Revis


It is most sincerely with a heavy heart that I sit down to write about this beloved man, Mr. Revis. I was 5 years old when I first met this man named, Costa, Gus, Tony or how I referred to him as, Mr. Revis. I remember then being so confused as to what his name REALLY was since all these names were used so interchangeably when people spoke to him. Sometimes, the same person would use all three in the same sentence when speaking to him or speaking about him! Yet I was 5 years old and his daughter Helen and I had just met in Kindergarten. We didn't know it yet, but Helen and I were going to remain in each other's lives for years to come. Helen introduced me to Tracey and from then on, the three of us nourished a friendship that would last a lifetime.


One of the things that made Helen and my friendship grow was the fact that we were raised very similarly. She, Greek and me, Italian, we both grew up in households where our fathers were quite strict. We were Daddy's little girls and they would do everything in their power to keep us safe and sound. Something Helen and I couldn't quite understand back then, but now that we are adults, raising daughters of our own, we can truly appreciate. Both Mr. Revis and my father ran businesses in the town of Smithfield. Pizza and chicken. Two totally different establishments but Helen and I both saw our Dads work an enormous amount of hours when we were young. We were taught the meaning of a dollar at an early age. We were taught to value these restaurants even though there would come times when I know we would both loathe them. These are just a few of the things that bonded Helen and I together in friendship. At the very root of it all stood my Dad and Mr. Revis. We continued on in school and expanded our group to eventually 3 more. Valerie, Andrea and Sara joined us and for the most part, we were known as the 6 musketeers. The 6 of us will always have some really wonderful memories to look back on and for that I am grateful. I am also grateful that we somehow have remained in each other's lives despite living states apart, raising families and nourishing careers. I think it is safe to say that our bond cant be broken after 30 years of friendship.


Mr. Revis adored Helen in such a way that it was evident in everything that he did. He was always so proud of her and all of her accomplishments and he surely couldn't wait to pass on Helen's endeavors to the rest of the town. He was that proud of her and not in such a way as to gloat, but in a way as to say, "My daughter is my pride and joy and I am so proud of the woman she has become." Helen was always his Greek Princess and rightfully so. He was just as proud of his son Costa. Costa followed in the family footsteps and one could always find him behind the counter at Tonys from the time he was a little boy. You see, Mr. Revis owned and operated Tony's Pizza Palace which was just a short walk (across a usually very dangerous) street. Year after year there would be times throughout the day where I would be driving by and there he was crossing the street to head back to the restaurant or to head home after a long, hard day's work. When Helen got married to Brian and had her two little blessings, Mr Revis would love to keep me updated on the girls and their exciting news. He adored going to their dance recitals and for them, the sun rose and set on their Papu. There is one picture that is standing out in my mind that I saw of Olivia and Mr. Revis after her dance recital a few years back. He had given her flowers and he was walking to the car carrying her. He had such an adoring look in his eyes as he looked at her. It was such a precious image that I never forgot about it.


I use to love to go over to Helen's house to play or to go into the restaurant for the main reason being that Mr. Revis had this way of making you feel like the most important person in the world. It didn't matter who you were, you were treated like family the minute you walked through the door of his home, or the door of the restaurant, which in essence was just an extension of his living room. For me personally, there was always a "KERRI!" shouted the moment he would lay eyes on me. Simultaneously as he would boom out my name in his Greek accent, his arms would extend wide ready for that big hug. Never was there a greeting without a hug and a how are you. Never, was there anything less than this big huge greeting that made you feel like a million bucks. Like royalty.


I used to get a big kick out of going over to Helen's and listening to her parents talk. I LOVED their accent and her Mom was always equally as sweet as her father. The house ALWAYS smelled of delicious Greek food and there was at least one cat (Lucky?) roaming about the home who sometimes got even better treatment than Helen or Costa.. if that is at all possible! The Revis's always made sure you felt at home whether you were in their house or at the restaurant. Mr. Revis always checked in with us as well to make sure we were walking the straight and arrow. "Kerri, how you doing in school? You doing well? You getting A's? You have to get A's you know to be successful in America." Then there were Helen's birthday parties at the restaurant. Nothing beat those. Nothing could even come close to the taste of Tony's pizza and well hey... a girl could surely get sick of eating chicken so often and just want that pizza. I was probably only 6 years of age when I knew the phone number to Tonys by heart because it was a place my entire family frequented and still frequent. It didn't matter what time we went either.. Mr. Revis was always there to greet us.


A few short years ago we held an unofficial "Cancer Sucks" pizza party at the restaurant for our friend Shannon who was making her way through becoming a two time breast cancer survivor. Mr. Revis was there because.. well..when wasn't he? He just LOVED seeing all these classmates of Helen's. He had a smile on that night bigger than any one I had previously seen. I know he was so proud to be part of something for Shannon as well. He was beaming with happiness that we were all there, in his "living room" celebrating Shannon's cancer free night. He was happy to contribute to that special evening of joy and I remember sitting there as a 30 something, feeling the exact same way I did as a teenager. The ambiance never changed and there was just something so very special about that.


I have so many wonderful memories of this man and the entire Revis family that it would be impossible to list them all. Throughout the years Helen and I stayed friends and I am happy to say that we still try and get together once a month or so to catch up on life. I always look forward to this adult time and it is always followed by a lot of laughter. My Helen, is like her father in having the ability to make people feel comfortable and at ease around her. She is a jack of all trades like her Dad. She succeeds at whatever she puts her mind into doing and she is not afraid of hard work. Something I surely don't tell her enough is how very smart I find her. She is one of the most intelligent women that I know and she is so very strong and determined. She is a WONDERFUL mother and a fabulous wife. For me, she was always that person. That person that could do it all and make it look easy. I look up to her. Mostly because she knows what she wants, she knows what is best and she stops at nothing to achieve it.


And then there came this day that seemed to have happened way too soon. I got the text early Saturday morning and couldn't press my fingers to dial her number fast enough. Surely she was going to tell me that it wasn't true. She texted me wrong. There was some mistake. As soon as I heard her voice, I knew it wasn't. How I wish that there was something I could do to make this the slightest bit easier on her, on the girls, Brian, on Mrs. Revis and Costa. Life doesn't make sense sometimes. What I find comforting for myself and something I think that in time the entire Revis family will find comforting is the fact that Mr. Revis was sort of an icon in Smithfield. It sounds silly to say that but it's the truth. As this news has spread, the entire town is in disbelief and is mourning him as well. I guess I never thought of him in that respect because he was Helen's Dad. He was an extension of Helen.. but when I sit here and truly think about it.. he didn't just treat me like that princess... He treated everyone who walked through his doors like that. He has touched so many people and it is so comforting to know how well loved he was and always will be by how everyone is reacting to this news.


Mr. Revis, you will be missed. I just can't fathom walking through those doors of the restaurant and not seeing you. I just cant fathom it. But I will be comforted by all the times I was able to relish in your exuberant greeting when I did walk through those doors. I will be comforted by the fact that I just knew you and what a remarkable family man you were. You worked so hard your entire life. As Helen said, you only knew one speed. I wish for you eternal peace now. You can rest. Helen is strong and we will help her get through this. The 6 musketeers will pull together and we will continue to make you proud. We love her and we love you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to know you and for continuing to teach me the true meaning of family every time I walked through your doors. You are going to be so very missed, but I can promise you... that you will never be forgotten. Rest peacefully Mr. Revis as you surely deserve those angel wings.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Revis really did have an amazing charm and made everyone feel so special. This was such a wonderful tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully written tribute to Mr. Revis. He always had a smile on his face and his children were certainly his pride and joy.

    ReplyDelete