Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Guilt



Guilt - The fact of having committed a specified or implied offense or crime.  Synonyms - culpability, guiltiness, blameworthiness, wrongdoing, wrong.

That's a pretty crappy way to feel and yet so many of us live our lives riddled with guilt.  Guilt always seems to pop it's way into my life on an almost daily basis.  I am always feeling guilty for doing this or not doing that.  However, this morning as I was getting ready and before I woke the kids up for school, I thought about how I started this blog as a way for the children to look back and see how much I loved them throughout the years.  That someday I would direct them here, so they could be reminded of the love I've always had for them.  Somewhere along the line of the past year, the blog turned into a way for me to express the emotions of losing Mom.  Herein enters the guilt.  I started to get that pit in my stomach when I thought about the kids reading the past several posts and how our "Happy Times" have somehow been clouded by this overwhelming grief.  Grief over the loss of my mother, grief over the loss of my marriage.  Guilt.  It seems as though I have overcome a lot this past year.  I don't think I ever really appreciated the strength I had within me until now.  Not until being strong was the only thing I would allow myself to be and the only choice I had.  So in the name of "strength" I pushed that guilt back down and redirected my thoughts.  Yes this has been a tough year.  The toughest of my life... but here I am folks.  Still kicking, still breathing and with a whole hell of a lot of life ahead of me.  What a great lesson for the kids to read eh?  Yes, awful things happen in life and you have to pick yourself up, smile in the mirror, dust yourself off and move on.  Keep going.  We still have each other and we still have our memories of Mom and as long as there is life in me, I'll make sure that Hannah, Layla and Cam know that their Mother loves them and that I would do anything to keep us a happy family.  A new kind of normal but a normal just the same with love at the base of it.  Goodbye guilt.. I've got this.  The kids some day will appreciate the struggle inside me as they read how much I loved their grandmother and how difficult her journey was.  As they read how I gave my all to them and for them so that they could have better opportunity in this life.  They will be better people for it and just maybe they will learn a new lesson in regards to a mother's selfless love. (Thanks Mom)

So in the name of fresh starts.. here goes.  I can still write about the kids.. making sure to keep a journal of all our adventures of love together so that some day they can look back and have concrete evidence of how very much they were loved... but I can write about Mom too because there isn't any law that tells me I can't and because she was such a huge part of our lives, their lives and I want them to know the person she was, before she got sick. They deserve to know and her story deserves to be told.  Adios Guilt!  I got this! 

Here goes... 

Easter Weekend was last weekend.  The kids and I spent Friday coloring eggs and tidying up the house.  AH the house.  Did I mention that I have a gazillion dollars worth of ice dam damage?  That my entire room, bathroom and closet has been gutted and that I have been living downstairs?  That Hannah's room is missing a wall, the front entry way is missing walls and the sunroom floor has been ripped up and that my garage also has to be gutted?  Winter, you sucked!  Yet we are making the best of it!  My new saying these days is, "This wont be what breaks me.."  Although, my vacuum cleaner breaking last night.. THAT almost... almost was what broke me.  (People who know me, know what a catastrophic event this is).  Friday night, the kids went with their Dad and I took some "Me Time".  I'm starting to get use to that me time.  I never thought I would.  Saturday I had a wedding.   Erin Donovan and Eric Boyle married in Newport.  First let me just say that the kids and I pretty much watched that courtship from my bow window as Erin lived across the street and Eric up the street.  Watching Erin get married was bittersweet for me.  No child deserves this happiness more than she (yes Erin, you are still a child to me!)  Being able to see my sister, Alyson and Beth in the wedding was truly a gift... all three of them stunningly pregnant.  I don't remember being this excited for a wedding in a long time.  It was elegant and absolutely breathtaking!  Taking place at my old Alma Martyr, Salve's Ochre mansion while the reception was at Ocean Cliff.  The whole day was simply divine.  Yet, it is a new normal for me remember?  I kept looking around and taking it all in while thinking about how very much Mom would have loved to have been there.  She would have been beaming with pride for Erin as if Erin were her own daughter.  She would have been dressed to the nine's and the smile would have never left her face.  She would have torn up that dance floor with me and she would have enjoyed the night amongst her friends.  I can hear her laugh and I can see her face and exactly how she would have worn her makeup.  I can smell her perfume.  I'm SO VERY grateful for these happy images that come along every once in a while.  All too often these are not the images I see.  My heart ached for Dad as I know it was a tough night on him.  Riddled with the happiness for Erin and the loneliness for himself, as here we are at another happy occasion without Mom.

Sunday I rose early to go to church.  I met the family there.  These Sunday's without the kids at church make me insane.  I am so use to the kids being with me at all times, that I sometimes panic when they are not.  It's such a strange feeling.  I buried the feeling and prayed.  After church was Easter dinner with the family.  My heart ached without the kids and being around my nieces and nephew.  I buried it.  I'm getting quite good at putting on my "happy face".  Finally the time came for me to pick them up and I thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon of egg hunting and them opening their baskets.  The only downside to the day is that I learned my banana no longer believes.  CRAP!  If I could, I'd let her believe til she was sixteen.  I have to have a conversation with her.  I need alone time with her.  As sad as I am, I do look forward to the coming years with her as my sidekick making the magic happen for Layla and Cam.  I feel like this will be a new type of relationship for Hannah and I.  Where has the time gone?  (sigh)  Sunday night was the perfect cuddle night with my three cherubs as they were happy to be home and quite exhausted themselves.  So we jumped into bed, in my downstairs apartment (lol) and let the thoughts of our weekend take us into our dreams.

I thought of you today Mom.  (silly.. I think of you everyday)  Eddie Falco came across my newsfeed and I laughed.  Then I thought about James Gandolfini.  I laughed again.  Are you with him?  I had forgotten that he had passed and then all these thoughts came into my head.  (Do you see why I don't sleep?)  I started thinking about how much you loved to watch the Soprano's with the family and how EVERYONE thought you looked like Carmella.  It even became your nickname.  You ADORED it.  You use to get such a kick out of it!  (I can hear your laugh).  It was a thing.  Sunday nights at your house or auntie's and we would all pile around and watch.  Life was so fun then Mom.  So carefree.  So full of love.  Help me find these days again Mom.  I really need them to get by.  I miss you, love you and I hope you are someplace beautiful. 

Kids, I love you.  Remember that always. 
xo





No comments:

Post a Comment