Love That Mama Drama

Love That Mama Drama

Monday, January 5, 2009

The verdict is in..on Hannah at least

HOW ON EARTH DO I GET MY KIDS HEALTHY? This is my New Year's resolution! We had Layla's 15 month appointment at the Pediatrician today. She has had a high fever for several days and she had the same last weekend as well. She currently seems to have a virus as her throat was red, but the doctor also wants to be proactive about the reoccurring fevers so we will do some more blood work. Her allergy blood work has not come back yet (even though it was done a week ago) and we will know more when we see the results of that as well. (I have 2 phone calls into their office.) It really begins to get frustrating when you have to chase all these doctors down just to get results. I have been all over the state for appointments, blood draws, etc.. and I am at wits end. I wish we could just figure this all out and get on the road with a treatment plan! Dr. Sowa also feels that Layla's fevers could just be from her constantly picking things up because her immune system is not so good from not getting the proper nutrition. We finally seem to have found the source of the chronic diarrhea (Milk Protein Allergy) so at least I feel like we are getting somewhere on that end. We have an appointment with the nutritionist on Friday to then figure out what we CAN feed her so that she is getting the proper nutrients and therefore she can get her immune system working properly. I am hoping her allergy blood work will be back by then so that we can add that all into the equation. Thankfully, she did not want to give her the 15 month shots today as she felt it was too much to put on her, especially with the fever so we are going back for those. We have a follow-up appointment with the Pedi GI on the 28th and a sweat test on that day as well. I am a little apprehensive about the sweat test. I dont think there will be an issue as she isnt technically losing weight (although she is only in the 5th percentile for weight) and I dont notice the signs that go along with Cystic Fibrosis.. but it is still scary for me. I just want it over and done with with so we can rule it out and move on. So that's where we stand with Miss Layla Cakes.

As for the Hannah Banana...She had her follow-up hearing test yesterday which showed mild to moderate hearing loss in her left ear (no shocker there). So we are now putting tubes BACK in and taking OUT adenoids. I am relieved as I know the hemangioma wrapped around her ear tube is the cause of this. I know that we will be dealing with more of a long term solution for this because every ounce of me believes that this will be an ongoing concern in her left ear. However, we are doing what we need to do to get the hearing back where it needs to be for now and we will wait and see if Hannah can grow out of this on her own. Even though I am not optimistic about her growing out of it, I know we are taking the appropriate steps to do what we need to do now for the current situation. He did say the hearing was repairable, so fingers crossed this will be true. I am also happy about putting the tubes back in so that Hannah can just get some relief. Even though she doesnt feel the pain of the constant ear infections and fluid build-up, it does take its toll on her. I can always tell when something is going on because she does not sleep well, she looks pale and her eyes look sunken and she just gets plain unruly. So I am truly looking forward to her appointment on the 3rd of February.

In the meantime, I received the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook from my sister in law for Christmas and I must say, it is fantastic! I have been puree-ing all of these wonderful vegetables and sneaking them into the girl's food (Billy's as well) and they cant even tell. Layla loves the chicken nuggies coated with sweet potatoes and we had taco's last night that were delicious! Hannah had no idea it contained butternut squash and she ate every morsel. It makes me feel good that they are getting at least some good nutrition in their diets.

Lastly, I have to post about how sick I am over hearing the news about Jett Travolta. Many of you who know me know that I have always been very fond of John Travolta and his work and I am just so saddened to hear about this tragedy. I wish the media would just leave this family alone and let them grieve without trying to spin a story about them. There are very few "normal" good natured families in the Hollywood scene and I always felt that John and Kelley were one of them. I can not possible imagine what they are going through and to have to go through it under the microscope of the media is just so disheartening. I just can't even begin to imagine their pain and I truly wish them comfort in this time of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment